Thursday, September 11, 2014

Day Eighteen

Writing Challenge Day #18: Your Zodiac Sign and if You Think it Fits Your Personality
          My zodiac sign is Libra. I didn't really know all that much about it, other than that Libra is mostly October and it has something to do with scales. So, I had to do some research. It was actually very interesting and I wouldn't mind learning more about astrology. Here's what I found out: Libra, the scales, is the 7th zodiac symbol in the wheel. It goes from September 24 to October 23. It is also a constellation, a quadrangle shape, and has the star Zubeneschamali in it. Zubeneschamali is a green tinged star 160 light years from Earth and is the brightest in the constellation. It is located between Virgo (to the West) and Scorpius (to the East). In Babylonian Astronomy, the scales were sacred to the sun god, Shamash, the patron of truth and justice. This is very similar to Roman Mythology, where Libra is meant to represent the scales held by Astraea, the goddess of justice. I find the Arabic idea of Libra to be more interesting than the first to. The scales can also be "an allusion to the fact that when the sun entered this part of the ecliptic at the autumnal equinox, the days and nights are equal," (Wikipedia).
          So I'm definitely getting the Justice! vibe from Libra. Now I shall share with you the characteristics that Libra's tend to have.

          Strengths:

  • Diplomatic
  • Graceful
  • Peaceful
  • Idealistic
  • Hospitable
  • Likes to be around other people (partnerships and groups)
  • Can be very independent, but would rather be with others (not sure if this is strength or weakness..)
  • Love excitement and new situations
  • Adventurous 
  • Artistic
  • Excellent instincts and intuition
  • Fair and respectful
  • Courageous

          Weaknesses
  • Superficial
  • Vain
  • Indecisive
  • Unreliable
  • Lazy
  • Messy
  • Very focused on money (this was actually listed as a strength, but I disagree. So I moved it.)
  • Self-Doubt
  • Underachievers
  • Pushover
  • Insecure
  • Desperately requires love and approval
          Unfortunately, I have more of the weaknesses than the strengths. I definitely found myself relating to that list more. In fact, most of the things on the strengths list are the exact opposite of me. I am not courageous, nor am I adventurous. More often than not, I do not like to be around other people and I hate change and new things.  Whereas on the weaknesses, I am very indecisive, lazy, and messy. (You do not want to see my room...I think I'm messy on account of being lazy...) I definitely am insecure and doubt myself. In the past year I have become a pushover, which I hate. I never stand up for myself anymore. I am also desperate for love, unfortunately. I found something else that describes being a Libra a bit better than these lists however, on zodiac-signs-astrology-.com/zodiac-signs/libra.htm and I'm going to copy it here and highlight what describes me.

          "They are also likely to hide or bend their own true feelings in order to bring peace with a group and to make others like them. Sometime this results in them not really knowing what their true feelings are because they are trying to make everyone happy. Other people can see this and Libras have earned themselves a reputation for being indecisive, they simply do not want to hurt anyone's feelings or cause disorder or friction in a situation. This spills over inside the person and many times, Libras have difficulty making decisions. Inside, the Libra is very insecure , they suffer from a lack of self confidence, they are always searching for something to complete them. This is another reason why they are social butterflies, it is an unconscious attempt to find the missing peace through other people. By trying to appease other people all the time, Libras don't really know who they are inside. Libras desperately need love and approval, they will do the favors that people ask and and have a hard time saying 'no' or 'I'm too busy' in order to prove how nice they are, this gradually builds up resentment and negative self esteem issues inside. Libra's indecisiveness is caused by fear, their fear that a wrong decision will make everything come crashing down around them and cause turmoil in their lives. Life is not like that and the Libra that acknowledges the fact that life has ups and downs will be less emotionally wound up, not so hard on themselves and as a result, they will be a much happier person."

          Well, jeez. Maybe I just should have highlighted the stuff that doesn't describe me. It would have been less to highlight. Essentially, the only thing wrong about this is the social butterfly part. I am neither social nor a butterfly (still human, last time I checked...) I was actually kind of shocked at how well this paragraph described what goes on in my head. Good job, random website. I finally have a decent way to describe my indecisiveness. And now I have decided to be done. Until tomorrow!

"I am tired of trying to hold things together that cannot be held. Trying to control what cannot be controlled. I am tired of denying myself what I want for fear of breaking things I cannot fix. They will break no matter what we do." -The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


No comments:

Post a Comment