Thursday, June 25, 2015

Exit: Sligo, Enter: Galway

Day Eleven:                                                                                                            May 27, 2015

Sign in Michael Quirke's window
          We're a the Lisadell House right now. There are two long benches in front of Constance Markievicz's paintings and I thought that would be a good place to start my journal for today. We have a tour in about a half hour, so I'm just kind of biding my time. (Unfortunately, that's all I wrote for Day Eleven...but I'll add a bit more on here because I remember what we did after that). After the tour, a few of us got hot chocolate for the bus ride home (it was so cold and wet! We needed some warmth). Then, [Friend B], [Friend C], [Friend M], and I went out for lunch. We just went to one of the cafeteria style cafes, but it was very good. And the guy who got our food for us looked like Chef Gordon Ramsay, so we spent a lot of time trying to inconspicuously get a picture of him. I don't even remember if we were successful or not! After lunch, we went to a candy shop. They had chocolate frogs!! Of course I got one. I can't just pass up a chocolate frog. Finally, we got to go to Michael Quirke's wood shop. That's what I'd been looking forward to all day. He has such a wealth of information when it comes to Irish mythology. I think we were in his shop for almost three hours.
And he even took the time to carve small things for us! 

Day Twelve:                                                                                                           May 28, 2015
The view out of my apartment in Galway
          I am having a hard time keeping up with journaling. We left Sligo for Galway this morning. I was really sad to leave Sligo, but now that I'm in Galway, I'm pretty excited. Our apartment is very nice, quite homey actually. And it's right on the beach! I mean, it's too cold to really hang out there or swim or anything, but it's really nice to look out my window and see the ocean. I wish I could on the water. It's so beautiful. After we got settled in our apartments, we went grocery shopping. This time around went a lot better than when we went shopping in Dublin. Here, at least we had an idea of what kind of food we wanted to buy. We finally got [Friend H] to buy a Kinder Egg and now she's just as hooked as we are! And we found a whole gluten free aisle for [Friend B] and were able to get noodles, bread, and pizza that she could eat. We made the pizza for dinner and then went to our neighbors apartment...[Friend C] and [Friend M]! (And Other Person J). There were eight of us all packed in their tiny living room, all with our laptops out, working on assignments, drinking wine (water, in my case), and watching Britain's Got Talent. Not going to lie, Britain didn't seem all that talented. They were in their semifinals and there was only one that I remotely liked. Anyway, after we got back to our own apartment, I tried to figure out how to use our fireplace, gave up, and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment