Friday, June 19, 2015

A Smaller Dose of Ireland

Day Six:                                                                                                                           May 22, 2015
Children of Lir
          This morning we took the train to Joyce Tower. It was in a town (Sandy Cove?) on the coast of the sea. I liked it a lot better there than in Dublin. I loved looking out at the water from the top of the tower. Right now we're at Murray's. I ordered the Tower Burger...I just needed a burger!
          Ok, now I'm at Gate Theatre, waiting for Tom Murphy's play, 'The Gigli Concert' to start, so I thought I'd write about the afternoon. After we ate, we went to the Dublin Writer's Museum. It was really hard to enjoy, because we had to do an information scavenger hunt. Some of them weren't even in the museum, so it was really frustrating. After that we got to see the Children of Lir statue (which I thought was beautiful). Other than the Joyce Tower, it was my favorite part. Then we took a Joyce walking tour. Again, by that point I was so tired that I could hardly keep my mind focused on listening to what the guide was saying. When we finally got back to the apartment, we had an hour to eat and put on nice clothes. Well, the play is starting now!



Day Seven:                                                                                                                             May 23, 2015
Me and my journal at St. Stephen's Green
          Sorry I didn't write about the play last night. I'm not sure what I thought of it. It was a modern play, so of course it had drugs, sex, and rock 'n' roll (just kidding, no rock 'n' roll....there was opera though!) It also dealt with a variety of psychological disorders, which was very interesting.
          Today was our free day. [Friend] and I did a lot of walking. We walked everywhere because we weren't really sure of the bus system. We went to the National Gallery, Dublin Castle, and through the Temple Bar area. I loved all the street performers! I could have watched them all day. Oh! I almost forgot! The first thing we did (other than getting duct tape for my suitcase) was get hot chocolate at Butler's Chocolate Cafe. It was the best hot chocolate I've ever had. Ever. And it came with a complimentary truffle! So. Good. We had lunch at Grilled Burger Kitchen. I liked how relaxed it was there. Nothing was rushed and the food was very good. After lunch, we set off in search of St. Stephen's Green. In my opinion, it's the best place in Dublin. It was so green, with a pond and ducks and pigeons and seagulls and swans. We were there for a good three hours. After that we went to 6:30 mass at St. Andrews. It was huge! The church was very empty though. It made me sad how few people were at the mass. We took the Dart back home afterwards. All in all, it was a good day.


“I wanted real adventures to happen to myself. But real adventures, I reflected, do not happen to people who remain at home: they must be sought abroad.” -Dubliners by James Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment