Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Book Challenge Day 4

Day 4: 1990s


There are so many books published in the 1990s that I could have done...a lot that I almost did, too. However, many of the books I was thinking of were also applicable on different days of the challenge. So I chose Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I got this book at a garage sale for fifty cents years ago and I reread it frequently. I love the way this book is written. It's not in letter format or anything, but there is almost no dialogue. The way the dialogue is written is in this style:

Mr. Teacher: I told you to do this assignment.
Me:
Mr. Teacher: Well, what have you got to say for yourself?
Me:

This is not a quote from the book, I just made it up as an example. But I really liked how Anderson handled the dialogue. The whole story is from Melinda's (the protagonist) head, and her head, although very sad, is also very sarcastic and I love it!



“When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time.” -Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment