Thursday, November 13, 2014

The One by Kiera Cass

Okay guys, I have officially finished the Selection Series (or rather, the ones that are out right now. From my understanding, there will be a completely unnecessary 4th book). And, now that I've read them, I have decided to do another book review, this time on the last book. I also decided not to do a review on the 2nd one because it was basically the same thing as the first. So, let's get started, shall we?

*Spoilers!*

The One
by Kiera Cass
Read: November 12-13, 2014
Published: May 6, 2014
Genre: YA, Dystopian
Series: The Selection Series


          The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of IllĂ©a, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen—and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.

          Find out who America will choose in The One, the enchanting, beautifully romantic third book in the Selection series! 



 ____________________________________________________________________________

What didn't you like about this book?
My answer here is pretty much the same as it was for the first one. The characters in this novel are so immature and shallow, it was hard to read. There is a family drama between Kota and their father that is only mentioned a few times, but never really goes anywhere. It created a few scenes that were completely nonessential to the plot. Also, the northern rebels. For rebels who are apparently so supportive of Maxon, they seemed terribly secretive and a pain in the butt until they finally decided to let him know they supported him. And they were too cheerful for rebels. It didn't seem like they had a cause. They told us they did, but I didn't feel it. (Which is how this book works. We're told things, but we never feel it)

What did you like about this book?
This book was easily the best out of the series. America finally, finally, chose a guy (the one I predicted, of course). I was so happy when she decided who she loved, if only because I didn't have to read about her whining any more. And while I said the characters are immature and shallow, I still mean it, but they are less so than in the first two books. But my favorite part about this book? The ending. It was a very satisfying ending. It was happy, but not too much so that it's unrealistic. There was a bitter sweetness to the ending that I enjoyed. There was sadness and joy, which I really like in an ending. So, congratulations Kiera Cass, on giving me such a satisfying end that I can't even regret reading these anymore.

Three Unexpected Things:  Death, alliances, bad guy turned good

Three Things this Book Does not Feature: Complete happily ever after, traditional wedding, realistic rebels

Would you recommend this book to anyone?
See, I have mixed feelings about this one. I would recommend this book to a friend. I would not, however, recommend the first two. Which leaves us in a bit of a dilemma, doesn't it?

Bottom Line: This book was unexpectedly good. Had it not been for the first two in the series, I might even say that I actually enjoyed it. The end was so exciting that I started to speed read just so I could find out what happened. If the first two books had been the first 4 chapters or so of this book, it could have worked. As it is, the only good part of this series was the last book. Also, I think the love triangle was completely unnecessary to this series (even thought that's all it was about). It was glaringly obvious who she was going to choose throughout the novels. Now, if you ignored my warning above about spoilers, you better stop reading now. I am going to reveal some major spoilers right now. So stop reading unless you have read the book or have no intention of reading the book. Here I go, spoiling things: I am so happy that this author had the guts to kill off characters (some that we really could have loved had there been some character development...there was only one death I was truly sorry about), but not the audacity to kill of the voice of the series. (Yes, America lives.) However, I found the death of the king to be rather too convenient. I would have like to see Maxon actually stand up to him and win. I also found the romance between Aspen and Lucy to be too convenient, however, I was happy that Aspen and America could still be like family to each other. So I guess I have mixed feelings about that too. If you do decide to read the series, good luck. And in light of this fluffy Hunger Games series, 'May the odds be ever in your favor.'

"The best people all have some kind of scar." -The One by Kiera Cass

No comments:

Post a Comment