Thursday, March 1, 2018

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

*Spoilers*

Read: February 21-27, 2018
Published: December 6, 2011
Genre: Fantasy

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when it becomes clear that the mysterious Magister will stop at nothing to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends. With the help of the handsome, tortured Will and the devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal and fueled by revenge. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister knows their every move-and that one of their own has betrayed them. Tessa is drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa answers about who she really is? As their search leads to deadly peril, Tessa learns that secrets and lies can corrupt even the purest heart.

______________________________________________________________________________

Why did you read this book?
I read Clockwork Angel and I really liked it. So, of course, I had to read the next book.

What did you like about this book?
I think I liked this book better than the first one. The pace was steady, picking up at the end and the plot development was fantastic. Many of my questions from the first book were answered and now I have new questions that need answering. I really enjoyed Tessa's interactions with the other characters in the book and how her relationships were built (or not). Many of the things I love about this book will be series wide (the setting, the time period, the more mature writing style). One thing that was really a stand out for me was the character development. I love Jem and this book just reinforced my love for him. I've read other reviews and it seems to be that most people prefer Will and I just don't understand it. Jem is the kind of man I would want for myself and I love him. Will did grow on me in this novel. We finally figure out why he is the way he is and I understand now the reason for his behaving like an ass, especially to Tessa. I also loved the development of Charlotte and Henry. As the only really present adults in the series so far, it was nice to get some more insight into their relationship with each other and with everyone else in the institute.

What didn't you like about this book?
The thing that is really killing me with this book is the love triangle. It's well written, but I hate it because no matter what happens, characters I have grown to love are going to be hurt. What I really hate is that Tessa is clearly drawn to Will more than Jem, but Jem loves Tessa. And Will loves Tessa, but he loves Jem in a way that he would rather the suffer the pain of a broken heart than have Jem feel that pain. Like I said, it's well-written, but I hate it. I hate knowing that I have a whole lot of heartbreak ahead of me in the final installment of this trilogy. I didn't like Tessa's character development. She definitely grew in confidence in her abilities, but when it came to Jem and Will, she was so wishy-washy it caused me physical pain. I thought that Tessa was smarter and more sensible to be dragging along two boys, especially one as kind and considerate as Jem. And I fully do not understand why Tessa is even drawn to Will. Sure, he's beautiful, but he has been nothing but rude and inconsiderate to her since they met. If I were in her position, I wouldn't be able to stand him, no matter how attractive he was. I hate that characters in young adult novels are so often drawn to toxic people and that young people are reading this and thinking that toxic relationships are romantic. I just hate it.

Cover art:
Something else I wanted to comment on was the new cover art for the paperback novels. I think they are absolutely gorgeous. If I do end up buying these books (which I probably will), I want these covers. I like them better than the original ones that matched the Mortal Instruments covers. Just beautiful.

Bottom-line:
I really liked it. I'm both excited for and dreading the conclusion (I know I'm going to cry).



"It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone. They could be honest with me, and I with them."-Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment