Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Matched by Ally Condie

Matched
by Ally Condie

Read: March 10-13, 2017
Published: November 30, 2010
Genre: YA Dystopia

     
 
   
          Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching Ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate...until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.
         The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.




______________________________________________________________________________

Why did you read this book?
I've actually read this one before, years ago, but I never finished the series. My sister has been asking me to read them for quite awhile, so I've finally decided to just do it. Also, I was going on Day 4 with no power and needed some entertainment.

What did you like about this book?
I liked the use of poetry in this book, especially Dylan Thomas' 'Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night'. It's one of my favorite poems (along with 'Desiderata' by Max Ehrmann). I was probably first introduced to Thomas' poem when I first read this book and it's one of the few things I remembered from it. The idea that poems outside of the One Hundred Poems are precious and that there are still people trying to remember them really appealed to me. The very last chunk of the book was my favorite. From the moment we find out what the red tablet does to the end of the book was easily more exciting than the rest of the book. The pacing was at its best here and I felt like that was where the plot really kicked in.

What didn't you like about this book?
This book didn't lose me with the mediocre world building. It didn't lose me with two-dimensional characters or writing meant for a younger audience. It didn't even lose me with the fact that it's nearly a carbon copy of The Giver. No, it lost me when it became a book about a love triangle. I don't mind a love triangle if it's done well (and realistically) and as long as it's not the center of the plot. The one featured in this book failed on both fronts. It reminded me of The Selection, where the story can be dwindled down to the main female character thinking about which boy she should choose--the best friend she's always known or the mysterious new guy? Spoiler: they always pick the new guy. A love triangle is only acceptable if you can remove the triangle, and there is still a story to read. There is nothing to read in this book without the love triangle.

If you liked this book, you might also like:
The Selection Series by Kiera Cass
Delirium Series by Lauren Oliver
The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins
Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

Bottom-Line:
This book was really boring. However, I will read the next two because I want to give the series a chance. Also because I promised my sister that I would. But holy cats, this book was boring. I really hope the series improves.



"Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that." -Matched by Ally Condie

No comments:

Post a Comment