Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Curious Inident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

*Possible Spoilers*

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
by Mark Haddon

Read: February 8-12, 2016
Published: May 18, 2004
Genre: Mystery





Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests the color yellow.

This improbably story of Christopher's quest to investigate the suspicious death of a neighborhood dog makes for one of the most captivating, unusual, and widely heralded novels in recent years. (Amazon)





______________________________________________________________________________

Why did you read this book?
This book was on one of my To-Read lists (40 Books You Won't Be Able To Put Down?) and I saw it at the library, so I grabbed. I didn't really know what it was about and I didn't do any research on it, so I went in without any expectations.

What did you like about this book?
I liked the concept of the book and I thought it was very well done in the first half. It kept me interested through most of it. The main character, Christopher, likes to count in prime numbers, so the chapters are numbered by prime numbers, which I thought was pretty clever. At first, I liked that it was told from Christopher's point of view, as I've never read a book from the point of view of someone who has Asperger's. 

What didn't you like about this book?
There was far too much math in this book. I didn't mind it at first, but it got really old pretty quickly. It was a short book, but I think it would've been to its benefit if it had been even shorter. Also, the plot was pretty weak and I didn't really care that much about any of the characters.

Bottom-Line:
This book was okay. I wouldn't reread it. I think it is a book very much for the 'literary snob'. I did read that it was for people that are fans of The Catcher in the Rye, which I am very much the opposite. So, no, I wouldn't recommend this because I have other books to recommend that I believe are better.



"Sometimes we get sad about things and we don't like to tell other people that we are sad about them. We like to keep it a secret. Or sometimes, we are sad but we really don't know why we are sad, so we say we aren't sad but we really are." -The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon



  

No comments:

Post a Comment