Friday, February 12, 2016

Me Before You by Jojo Mayes

*Definitely Spoilers*

Me Before You
by Jojo Mayes

Read: February 11-12, 2016
Published: July 30, 2013
Genre: Adult Fiction, Romance

They had nothing in common until love gave them everything to lose...

Louisa Clark is an ordinary girl living an exceedingly ordinary lifesteady boyfriend, close familywho has barely been farther afield than their tiny village. She takes a badly needed job working for ex-Master of the Universe Will Traynor, who is wheelchair bound after an accident. Will has always lived a huge lifebig deals, extreme sports, worldwide traveland now he's pretty sure he cannot live the way he is.

Will is acerbic, moody, bossybut Lou refuses to treat him with kid gloves, and soon his happiness means more to her than she expected. When she learns that Will has shocking plans of his own, she sets out to show him that life is still worth living. (Amazon)





_______________________________________________________________________________

Why did you read this book?
I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie and being close to Valentine's Day, I thought I could use a good uplifting romance. Oh boy.

What did you like about this book?
I thought the characters were developed really well. None of them were perfect and none of them were completely horrible (except maybe Patrick...I didn't like him). This was also one of the most convincing slow-build relationships that I've read. It took a long time for Louisa and Will to start to like each other, and even longer for them to grow that friendship into something a little more. It was realistic. I also really liked Louisa's character. I could really relate to her. I don't have big dreams and I don't much care for living anywhere other than my beautiful small town. It's safe there. I liked reading about how she learned to broaden her horizons a bit with Will's help. I really did like this book, except...

What didn't you like about this book?
Small things first...there were times when it got a bit slow. There were some descriptions and scenes that were just unnecessary. And Patrick. He was the worst and I didn't like him. However, my biggest beef with this book was the end. *Huge Spoilers After This Point!* Now, I can handle it when a main character dies at the end. I handled it in The Fault in Our Stars and in Allegiant. There were reasons for the deaths. In one, death was inevitable and in the other it was a sacrifice to save a life. Will Traynor however was unwilling to continue his life even though his family and Louisa were pleading with him not to. He had Louisa's love, and he loved her, and that wasn't enough for him. I couldn't handle that. I would have appreciated this book much more if it ended with the same uplifting and hopeful tone that was consistent throughout. The end just made me so angry. It all felt pointless and hopeless in the end.

Bottom-Line:
I don't know. It was a good book, but I strongly disagree with the ending. There is a movie coming out in June, so I'm glad a read the book before so I'm not completely shocked and distraught in a theatre, so maybe I'd suggest it to someone who wants to see the movie, but likes to read the book first. Or to anyone that wants their heart ripped out.



"You know, you can only actually help someone who wants to be helped." -Me Before You by Jojo Mayes


No comments:

Post a Comment