Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Only Pirate at the Party by Lindsey Stirling and Brooke S. Passey

The Only Pirate at the Party
by Lindsey Stirling and Brooke S. Passey

Read: August 3-4, 2016
Published: January 12, 2016
Genre: Memoir

A classically trained musician gone rogue, Lindsey Stirling is the epitome of independent, millennial-defined success: after being voted off the set of America's Got Talent, she went on to amass more than ten million social media fans, record two full-length albums, release multiple hits with billions of YouTube views, and to tour sold-out venues across the world.

Lindsey is not afraid to be herself. In fact, it's her confidence and individuality that have propelled her into the spotlight. But the road hasn't been easy. After being rejected by talent scouts, music reps, and eventually on national television, Lindsey forged her own path, step by step. Detailing every trial and triumph she has faced until now, Lindsey shares stories of her humble yet charmed childhood, humorous adolescence, life as a struggling musician, personal struggles with anorexia, and finally, success as a world-class entertainer. Lindsey's magnetizing storyat once remarkable and universalis a testimony that there is no singular recipe for success, and despite what people may say, sometimes it's okay to be The Only Pirate at the Party. (Amazon)
_______________________________________________________________________________

Why did you read this book?
I like Lindsey Stirling.

What did you like about this book?
This is the second memoir I've read and it's left me wondering why I haven't read more of them. This was an equally inspiring and entertaining read. I liked that so much of the information was entirely new to me, whereas with As You Wish (Cary Elwes), I knew quite a bit of it already just from finding random things on the internet. I loved how each chapter was set up and how they fit with each other. My particular favorite was the "Chapter on My Young and Carefree Drug/Alcohol Escapades". Should you choose to read this book, you will see why I love it so much. Lindsey Stirling seems like a truly genuine and hilarious person. I would love to be her best friend. She actually really reminded me of one of my cousins, with all of her weird quirks and outgoing personality. She (Stirling, not my cousin) also makes everything she discusses relatable, even though her lifestyle is entirely different from mine. I just finished this book a few hours ago, but I already want to reread it. I can't properly articulate how inspiring it was, so you're just going to have to trust me on it. It's nice to read through someone else's trials and triumphs and recognize your own struggles. It's encouraging to feel like you're not alone. I could really go on and on about my love for this book, but the big thing (the biggest thing for any book I read) is that it made me cry, but it also made me laugh out loud. I mean, it was more of a giggle most of the time, but I couldn't hold it in regardless. Also, she got me to pick up my cello and start practicing again. Thanks, Lindsey.

What didn't you like about this book?
There isn't much to dislike, but there are always a few things. I wish, if at all possible, the chapters could have gone in chronological order. Or at least have how old she was a the beginning of the chapter. I realize it's not that important, but I like having a timeline in my head of when the big things happen. It was hard to make a timeline. The other thing I didn't like was the names! There were so many that I wasn't quite sure which ones were her sisters at first. I know that's just me not being careful when I read, but you can understand when I get halfway through the book and I have to stop and thing, 'Wait...Jennifer is her sister?' It just throws of my reading groove.

Bottom-Line:
This is a great book. Everyone should read it, especially those either going through an existential crisis or just going through a period of change. Or a period of monotony. Ok, let's make this easier. Are you breathing? Are you a person? You should read this book.



"I make art for the sake of art...and for my own selfish gratification because I'm an artistic monster." -Lindsey Stirling, The Only Pirate at the Party

No comments:

Post a Comment