Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Cress by Marissa Meyer

Cress
by Marissa Meyer

Read: May 20-22, 2016
Published: January 27, 2015
Genre: Science Fiction, Fairy Tale

Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together they're plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker; unfortunately, she's just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can. (Amazon)



_______________________________________________________________________________

Why did you read this book?
Finishing the series...

What did you like about this book?
I know I've already mentioned this in past reviews for the Lunar Chronicles, but I just love the characters. We got a lot more Thorne in this book, which I was excited about. Cress was also introduced and she is such a precious, awkward, yet insanely intelligent character you can't help but love her. We were also introduced to Jacin, but I'll talk about him later. Again, I love how Marissa Meyer can take this fairy tales and you can obviously tell that they are these fairy tells, and yet, they are still unique. Plus, she just improves her writing with every book. I'm not sure if I like this one or Scarlet better yet, but they are both massive improvements from Cinder.

What didn't you like about this book?
I only have two minor complaints about this book. First, is Jacin. He is the first character that I just don't like. He doesn't breathe out of the pages like the other characters do. He has zero personality. Now, Kai doesn't really have a personality either, but at least I like him. Jacin doesn't have anything I can relate to. Even the awful, evil Queen Levana has at least one trait I can connect with (she just wants to be loved!). Second, while I love Thorne and Cress to death, they seem like almost exact copies of Flynn Rider and Rapunzel from Disney's Tangled. This is a hard thing to complain about, because I love Flynn/Thorne and Rapunzel/Cress, but usually Marissa Meyer has more originality than that and I guess I expected more from her than to read about these characters that I've already meant from a different source. You know what I mean?

Bottom-Line:
Yes. Please read it.



"Maybe there isn't such a thing as fate. Maybe it's just the opportunities we're given, and what we do with them. I'm beginning to think that maybe great, epic romances don't just happen. We have to make them ourselves." -Cress by Marissa Meyer


No comments:

Post a Comment