Sunday, January 24, 2016

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

*Possible Spoilers*

Saint Anything
by Sarah Dessen

Read: January 24, 2016
Published: May 5, 2015
Genre: YA Fiction

Sydney has always felt invisible. She's grown accustomed to her brother, Peyton, being the focus of the family's attention and, lately, concern. Peyton is handsome and charismatic, but seems bent on self-destruction. Now, after a drunk-driving accident that crippled a boy, Peyton's serving some serious jail time, and Sydney is on her own, questioning her place in the family and the world.

Then she meets the Chatham family. Drawn into their warm, chaotic circle, Sydney experiences unquestioning acceptance for the first time. There's effervescent Layla, who constantly falls for the wrong guy, Rosie, who's had her own fall from grace, and Mrs. Chatham, who even though ailing is the heart of the family. But it's with older brother Macquiet, watchful, and protectivethat Sydney finally feels seen, really seen, at last. (Amazon)




_______________________________________________________________________________

Why did you read this book?
We've been over this, guys. I spent my junior high/early high school years absorbed in her books. I am now morally obligated to read every book that she publishes.

What did you like about this book?
I really enjoyed this one, enough to read it in one sitting. It was better than her previous books (which I reviewed). With this book, I felt like Sarah Dessen went back to the quality of writing I expect from her. It was good to read her work and finish it feeling satisfied again. While the romance part of this book is pretty good, my favorite part was the relationship between Sydney and Layla. I loved their friendship, which seemed more natural to me than the Sydney's other friends from before she switched schools. I also really related to the protagonist more than I have related to one of Dessen's characters. I always (well, usually) love them and understand them, but with Sydney I could easily see myself thinking her thoughts. Heck, I have thought her thoughts. Not so much about having a problem older brother, but I've always felt invisible and so did she. It was nice to relate to someone in that aspect, even if it was only with a character in a book. The setting of the book was familiar, same schools that are used in previous books. I've got to say, I'm a little sad it wasn't in Colby, but it wasn't a summer book and that's where the summer books take place.

What didn't you like about this book?
I did not like Sydney's family. To be honest, they all sucked. There was hardly even a redeeming quality, even in the end when they finally saw her. I'm sure Dessen intended it to be that way, but I hated reading parts with her family in it. They were awful! I wasn't a huge fan of the end of the book either. I liked where they were going with it, but I think there could have been a few more pages, or a chapter even, after where it ended. It had that summary quality Dessen's final chapters usually have, which is all fine and dandy, but then she ended on something that couldn't be summarized. It needed dialogue and description. So, I guess the ending was a bit wanting.

If you liked this book...
...but don't want to read Sarah Dessen or you've already read all of her books, I'd suggest Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira or perhaps The Secret Life of Prince Charming by Deb Caletti. Both have a little bit of love, lots of friendship, and a good dash of self-discovery along with tricky familial relations.

My Swoon (Warning! Contains Spoilers)
My favorite part in the whole book was when Mac told Sydney that she wasn't invisible. That part, more than any of the other potential swoon-worthy moments, got me. I think I loved it so much because that's all I want...to be seen. Here's the quote, because I love it:

As I shut the door and started to walk away, I heard him say, "Hey. Sydney." 
"Yeah?"
"You had on a shirt with mushrooms on it, and your hair was pulled back. Silver earrings. Pepperoni slice. No lollipop."
I just looked at him, confused. Layla was walking toward us now. 
"The first time you came into Seaside," he said. "You weren't invisible, not to me. Just so you know.” 


Bottom-Line:
I liked it. If you're a fan of Dessen's books, you'll probably like it too. I would definitely recommend it to anyone in need of a light romance with a bit of depth, but not so much that it moves you to tears or changes your life. I'd say this is a small step above a fluff read, but still very good.



"I would have loved to know how it felt, just once, to have something fall apart and see options instead of endings." -Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen


No comments:

Post a Comment